If you are like me, about 90 percent of your lifetime watermelon consumption has been in the form of big wedges. Most of the time, I enjoy it straight up as a snack or even dessert, and occasionally I blend fresh chunks into smoothies. But recipes like this watermelon raspberry spinach salad make me rethink my limited usage of this giant summer fruit.
Shared with us by the National Watermelon Promotion Board (yes, seriously), this raspberry spinach salad combines the delicious flavors of summer with fresh baby spinach, brilliant berries, juicy watermelon, and sweet-tart pomegranate. The flavors are heightened with a pomegranate-balsamic vinaigrette for a near gourmet, healthy and seasonal experience.
Special Diet Notes: Watermelon Raspberry Spinach Salad
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, vegetarian, and generally top food allergy-friendly. If you use honey in place of the agave, I believe this raspberry spinach salad is even paleo!
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1½ tablespoons orange zest
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup (use honey for paleo)
- 1 small shallot, minced
- ⅛ teaspoon stone-ground mustard
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Dash of salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups diced watermelon
- 8 cups baby spinach (one 6-ounce bag)
- ¾ cup diced red onion
- 6 ounces fresh raspberries
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- Simmer juice in small saucepan over medium-high heat until reduced to about 3 tablespoons and liquid is a thick syrup. Let cool.
- When cool, add the remaining dressing ingredients, and whisk to emulsify. Let sit for flavors to meld.
- Place watermelon on paper towel to absorb excess fluid.
- Place spinach in a large serving bowl. Top with onion, watermelon, raspberries and pomegranate seeds.
- Divide onto four salad plates and drizzle with dressing.
Pingback: POM Wonderful Juices and Blends - Go Dairy Free
Pingback: 12 Amazing Salads with Watermelon - GleamItUp
This looks awesome! I love new salad ideas! Can’t wait to try it!