Just because it’s winter and heading into the chilly side of spring, doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy salads! This Meatless Monday, I’m sharing a wonderful plant-based Wheat Berry Salad that can be enjoyed warm or chilled for tomorrow’s lunch.
Flavorful Vegan Wheat Berry Salad to Enjoy Warm or Chilled
This wonderful wheat berry salad is nutritionally well-balanced for a light meal or hearty side with nutrient-dense mushrooms and grains. Mushrooms contain vitamin D at various levels, B vitamins in notable amounts, and a good little dose of natural protein. Plus wheat berries are relatively high in protein and fiber. Kasha, the gluten-free option for this recipe, is just a little bit lower in protein and has about a third of the fiber.
Nonetheless, if you want a heartier salad, you can add a can of drained and rinsed chickpeas or diced baked tofu. Both will meld wonderfully with the flavors in this recipe while adding a good dose of plant-based protein.
This wheat berry salad recipe with photo was shared with us by the Mushroom Council.
Special Diet Notes: Orange-Curry Wheat Berry Salad
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
For a gluten-free warm salad, I recommend swapping in kasha, or buckwheat groats, for the wheat berries. Despite it’s name, buckwheat is actually wheat-free and gluten-free.
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms, halved
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon finely ground sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups cooked wheat berries, warm
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon finely ground sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF.
- Place the mushrooms on a baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Carefully stir the mushrooms and bake for 5 more minutes, or until tender.
- Transfer the mushrooms to a medium bowl. Stir in the cooked wheat berries, green onions and cranberries.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all of the dressing ingredients.
- Pour the dressing over the salad. Toss to mix all of the ingredients, and serve warm. Leftovers can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.
More Meatless Mushroom Meal Recipes
Mushroom Pasta Bake with White Wine Cream Sauce (vegan, optionally gluten-free & nut-free)
Marinated Mushroom Bowls with Lentils and Wild Rice (vegan, gluten-free & optionally allergy-friendly)
BBQ Portobello Mushroom Burgers (vegan, optionally gluten-free & nut-free)
Pingback: Roasted Parsnips & Carrots with Dairy-Free Shallot Herb Butter Recipe
I love all the flavors you have packed in this salad and it looks so filling and satisfying! I could see making a big batch of this and adding and tweaking it and enjoying it all week long.