These blueberry orange muffins are simple, wholesome, and hearty. They’re made with either 100% whole wheat flour or spelt flour, and can even be made gluten-free if you need. For a little added Omega-3, I like to add 2 tablespoons or so of ground flaxseed.
Special Diet Notes: Whole Grain Blueberry Orange Muffins
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
For egg-free and vegan blueberry orange muffins, substitute prepared powdered egg replacer for the eggs.
For gluten-free blueberry orange muffins, keep the eggs, but swap your favorite hearty gluten-free flour blend for the whole wheat flour.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour or spelt flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup sugar or evaporated cane juice
- ½ cup orange juice
- ⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup extra light olive oil or your favorite baking oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh blueberries (if using frozen, let them defrost for 15 minutes)
- Preheat your oven to 375ºF and grease or line 12 muffin cups with cupcake liners. You don't need to grease if using a silicone muffin tin, but place it on a baking sheet for easier handling.
- In a medium bowl, flour, baking powder, orange zest, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, juice, applesauce, oil, eggs, and vanilla until relatively smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and stir until just combined; do not overmix.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.