This berry bread pudding is a “dessert” recipe entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Jen Prosini. For the “pudding” base, she uses French Vanilla Coconut Creamer and Almond Plus AlmondMilk from So Delicious.
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: https://www.godairyfree.org/news/so-delicious-dairy-free-3-course-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Berry Bread Pudding
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian. But the big wild card is the croissants. Most do contain dairy, but as noted, you can use any stale leftover dairy-free bread. This recipe does contain eggs. If you confuse eggs for dairy, you’re not alone. See this post: Are Eggs Dairy?
For a gluten-free and dairy-free berry bread pudding swap the croissants for gluten-free bread. Since gluten-free bread tends toward dry and stale, this is actually the perfect application!
For a tree nut-free and dairy-free berry bread pudding, you can substitute the almonds in the streusel with quick oats or ground seeds, if desired.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 6 2-3 day old dairy-free croissants, cut in half (see below for alternative)
- ½ cup marshmallow crème or 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1-1/2 cups washed, hulled, sliced strawberries
- ½ cup frozen Saskatoon berries (blueberries can be substituted)
- One pint (473 mL) So Delicious Dairy Free French Vanilla Creamer
- 1 cup So Delicious Dairy Free Original Almond Plus AlmondMilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 orange, zested
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Streusel Topping: 1 tablespoon sugar + ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon + ½ cup chopped almonds
- Brush an 8x8-inch casserole dish with the coconut oil.
- Spread the marshmallow crème inside each cut croissant or fill with mini marshmallows then sandwich it together. Place in casserole dish.
- Tuck the fruit in, around and between the bread.
- Whisk the creamer, almond milk, eggs, honey, zest, and vanilla together.
- Evenly pour the mixture over the bread.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours minimum or overnight to soak up the liquids.
- When ready to bake sprinkle mixed streusel overtop and cover with foil.
- Bake in a 350ºF oven for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and continue baking for another 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden and crispy on top.
Croissant Alternative: Any dried bread can be substituted if dairy-free croissants are difficult for you to locate. Croissants are just fancier for guests.