In honor of the Fast & Fresh Dairy-Free Time Trials Recipe Contest and for So Delicious, I decided to share one of my own quick recipes, while adding a heart-healthy Valentine spin. So what is my secret speedy ingredient for these dairy-free biscuits? Rich and creamy, original coconut milk.
I receive quite a few questions about coconut milk (not to be mistaken with lighter coconut milk beverage), particularly from people seeking options with no additives, BPA-free cans, etc. My latest love is the new Culinary Coconut Milk from So Delicious Dairy Free.
So Delicious forgoes the BPA can issue altogether with a little aseptic container and the coconut milk contents contain just three ingredients: water, organic coconut cream, and organic guar gum. It’s also super thick and rich (my only complaint on the packaging – it takes a little work to get all of the creamy goodness out!), certified organic, non-GMO verified, vegan and gluten-free certified. I think that covers the bases, no?
Coconut milk replaces both the butter and milk found in traditional recipes to make these equally delicious dairy-free biscuits. For fun, I also used cream from the coconut milk to make a creamy all-fruit jam topping.
Special Diet Notes & Options: Whole Wheat Dairy-Free Biscuits
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian. And yes, no margarine or shortening is required in these dairy-free biscuits and I made them refined sugar-free.
Note that these are heartier biscuits, but still somewhat light thanks to the use of white-wheat or whole wheat pastry flour (both options are 100% whole grain and easy to find in grocery stores). If you prefer fluffier dairy-free biscuits, all-purpose flour can be substituted, but I would reduce the baking powder to 1 tablespoon.
- 2 cups white-wheat or whole wheat pastry flour, plus additional as needed
- 4 teaspoons baking powder (1 tablespoon above 3000 ft)
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon coconut sugar or granulated sugar of choice
- 1-1/4 cups So Delicious Original Culinary Coconut Milk
- So Delicious Coconut Milk Beverage, for brushing (optional)
- 2 tablespoons all-fruit jam
- 1 tablespoon coconut cream, skimmed from So Delicious Original Culinary Coconut Milk)
- ½ tablespoon coconut oil, softened
- Preheat your oven to 450ºF.
- For the biscuits, whisk together the flour, sugar (if using coconut sugar or evaporated cane sugar, I recommend powdering it in a spice grinder first), baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Add the coconut milk and stir until it comes together into dough. If it is too sticky to handle, pat in additional flour as needed.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and gently pat down. Fold in half, then pat or roll to ½-inch thickness (be gentle with the dough and minimize handling).
- Cut dough using your favorite 2 to 2-1/2 inch cookie cutters, and place the cut dough on a baking sheet. Pat together excess scraps and cut or shape for remaining biscuits.
- If desired, brush the tops of each biscuit with coconut milk beverage.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the tops are lightly browned.
- For a creamy, sweet topping, whisk together the jam coconut cream and softened (but not melted) coconut oil until smooth. Chill to thicken.