This basic, wholesome recipe for pumpkin raisin muffins was originally shared with us over a decade ago. It was in need of a refresh, so we’ve updated it and added more options! These hearty muffins are easy to whip up for a breakfast treat, and can also be frozen and popped into lunch boxes for a special surprise. I think you’ll also like that they are optionally nut-free and school-safe.
Special Diet Notes: Whole Wheat Pumpkin Raisin Muffins
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
For egg-free pumpkin raisin muffins, substitute powdered egg replacer, aquafaba, or a generous 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce for the eggs. If using aquafaba or applesauce, I would add another 1/8 teaspoon baking powder. For strictly vegan muffins, you’ll also want to use the maple syrup option.
For gluten-free pumpkin raisin muffins, substitute your favorite whole grain gluten-free flour blend for the wheat flour. We’ve had good luck with Jovial gluten-free flour blends, but I’ve also heard good things about Premium Gold. And for best results, use eggs rather than one of the egg-free options.
- 2¾ cups whole wheat flour (we use ivory wheat flour)
- ½ cup packed brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (reduce to 2 teaspoons above 4000 feet)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch ground cloves
- 1 cup plain dairy-free milk beverage (such as Almond Breeze)
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup honey (can substitute maple syrup)
- 2 large eggs (see Vegan note in post above for egg free)
- ⅓ cup rice bran oil or your favorite baking oil
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup sliced almonds or pumpkin seeds (for nut free)
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF and grease 12 jumbo muffin cups (or 24 regular-size muffin cups).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt, and cloves.
- Put the milk beverage, pumpkin, honey, eggs, and oil in a large mixing bowl. Beat with a hand mixer until foamy.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet, and stir until the batter is just combined. Do not over mix.
- Fold in the raisins and almonds or pumpkin seeds.
- Divide the batter between the prepared muffin cups; they should be about ⅔ full.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the muffin tops spring back when touched and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Let cool for 5 minutes in the tins before removing the muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.
Key Ingredients: Pumpkin Raisin Muffins
More Wholesome Muffin Recipes
Apple Almond Crunch Muffins (optionally vegan, gluten-free & soy-free)
Matcha Latte Mini Muffins (vegan, nut-free & soy-free)
Banana Oat Trail Mix Muffins (vegan, gluten-free & allergy-friendly)