This recipe for applesauce cake is a “dessert” entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Elena Solis. For the cake itself, she uses Culinary Coconut Milk from So Delicious.
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: https://www.godairyfree.org/news/so-delicious-dairy-free-3-course-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Wholesome Applesauce Cake
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, soy-free, tree nut-free, vegan and vegetarian.
- 1 tablespoon ground flax + 3 tablespoons water
- 1-1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch salt
- ½ cup applesauce
- ¾ cup So Delicious Dairy Free Culinary Coconut Milk
- ¼ cup coconut oil (melted)
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ cup water
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- In a small glass combine flax and water and mix well, set aside.
- In a large bowl combine all of the dry ingredients, mixing well to endure there are no clumps.
- In another bowl combine the wet ingredients, including the flax seed mixture.
- Pour the wet into the dry ingredients and fold everything together. Try not to over mix, the batter will be thicker than other cake batters but the cake will turn out fine.
- Pour batter into greased cake pan, and smoother the top with a spatula. Put into pre heated oven and bake for 35-40 min or until toothpick comes out clean.
- For the sauce. In a small pan combine the coconut sugar and water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5-10 min. In a low flame. Once its thickened, add the coconut oil and simmer for a few more minutes. The sauce will be fairly thin at this stage but it will continue to thicken as it cools down.
- After the cake and sauce are both ready, allow them to cool down. After cake is completely cooled down pour the sauce over it, the cake will actually absorb the sauce. Enjoy the wonderful cake with some jam or sprinkle extra sauce over it.