My most recent attempt at a healthy snack / dessert hybrid was successful! These chocolate chip bars are made with 100% whole grain flour and have less sugars than your average chocolate chip bars. Yet they are just sweet enough thanks to the delicious blend of maple syrup, coconut sugar (yes, brown sugar is an option!), and dairy-free yogurt.
When baked for the allotted time, they are a little cakey, a little chewy, and still soft / tender right in the middle. Feel free to adjust the baking time to suit your personal cravings, but we loved them as is!
Choosing the Best Flour for Wholesome Treats
I use whole white-wheat flour in these chocolate chip bars, which is a 100% whole wheat, but it simply is a type of wheat that has a lighter hue and milder flavor that works well in cookies. It is sold in most stores these days. I recommend the Wheat Montana (even sold at Walmart) and King Arthur Flour brands, but stay away from the Trader Joe’s brand, which is inconsistent and often very grainy.
Whole wheat pastry flour is another good option, but will make for more delicate chocolate chip bars. All-purpose flour will of course work well in the recipe, but will remove much of the nutrition from the recipe. Whole spelt flour is another tasty option that I enjoy in cookies. See below for my comments on gluten-free.
Thanks to Kathy S. for sharing this feedback via Facebook:
We made these a while ago…delicious!!
Special Diet Notes: Wholesome Chocolate Chip Bars
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan / plant-based, and vegetarian
What about gluten-free? You’re in luck! I’ve created a gluten-free version of this recipe.
- 1-1/4 cups whole white-wheat flour (see flour notes in post above)
- ¼ cup coconut sugar (can sub brown sugar)
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder (1/2 teaspoon above 3000 feet)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅜ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted (can sub grapeseed, canola, or rice bran oil)
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce or So Delicious Dairy Free Plain Coconut Milk Yogurt, room temperature
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF and grease and flour an 8x8-inch baking dish, or line it with parchment paper.
- If using coconut sugar, grind it into a powder with your spice grinder - this is optional, but helps!
- Stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the maple, oil, dairy-free yogurt, and vanilla.
- Add the dry to the wet, and stir until well-combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spread the batter/dough (it will be thick) into your prepared baking pan with a spatula or damp hands, if needed.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until lightly golden and beginning to pull away from the edges.
- Let cool completely before cutting.