I recently had the opportunity to tour wild blueberry barrens in Maine, and have since become enamored with these wholesome little fruits. Currently, one of my favorite ways to enjoy them is in this wild blueberry bliss smoothie, which I’ve also dubbed as a fantastic “Back to School” beverage.
Wild blueberries are packed with more of the good stuff than cultivated blueberries (antioxidants, fiber and flavor!). Also, because they’re more delicate, they’re always frozen (locking in the nutrition within 24 hours of harvest) and available year round.
In the past, I tossed blueberries into banana smoothies for a little burst of berry flavor and to mask the color of greens. But they still tasted like banana smoothies. I wanted a smoothie where wild blueberries were the highlight, so I omitted the over-powering ripe banana and tested other complimentary flavors. I soon discovered that So Delicious Almondmilk, almond butter, dates, and cinnamon enrich the natural taste and consistency of wild blueberries. They also add balanced nutrition and fall flair for a wild blueberry bliss smoothie that is worthy of busy morning breakfasts.
20 Banana-Free Smoothie Recipes
I know how many of you want or need banana-free smoothies. Therefore I thought I would include a little round-up of dairy-free, banana-free smoothie recipes. They all happen to be vegan, plant-based, and gluten-free, and many are also allergy-friendly.
- Mango Melba Smoothies
- Pumpkin Frappuccino
- Apple Pie a La Mode Smoothies
- Cherry Blossom Smoothies
- Eat Dirt Chocolate Protein Shakes
- Brain-Boosting Blueberry Smoothie
- So Berry Vanilla Protein Shake
- Peach Chai Smoothie
- Tangerine Mango Tango Lassi
- Tutti Frutti Rainbow Smoothie
- Papaya Mango Milkshake with Fresh Raspberry Puree
- Light Bright Lemon Smoothie
- Coconut Mango Strawberry Smoothies
- Strawberry Lemonade Smoothie
- Creamy Citrus Cooler
- Frosty Pineapple Coconut Smoothie
- Sunrise Super Smoothies
- Minty Matcha Smoothie
- Peach Raspberry Crumble Shake
- Wild Blueberry Bliss Smoothie (recipe below!)
This post is sponsored by So Delicious Dairy Free, the makers of my go-to unsweetened almond milk beverage for smoothies! The opinions written here are my own, and so are the recipe and photos for this scrumptious wild blueberry bliss smoothie.
Special Diet Notes: Wild Blueberry Bliss Smoothie
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, vegetarian, and optionally paleo.
- 1 cup Unsweetened So Delicious Dairy Free Almondmilk
- 2 fresh (soft) pitted medjool dates*
- 2 tablespoons salted almond butter
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Handful baby spinach leaves
- 1¼ cups frozen Wild Blueberries
- Pour half of the almond milk into your blender and add the dates, almond butter, cinnamon, and spinach leaves. Blend the ingredients until smooth.
- Add the wild blueberries and the remaining almond milk and blend until the beverage is smooth and lightly creamy.