Raise a toast to the New Year with this fun olive toast! It’s a cute snow globe scene that is easy to make, and fun to eat. It’s the perfect snack for adults and kids, and can even make a delicious vegan and allergy-friendly, savory breakfast.
Raise a (Snow Globe) Toast to Dairy-Free Living in the New Year
Sometimes people feel limited with dairy-free living, but this snow globe toast scene shows just how fun, delicious, and nutritious it can be.
This winter wonderland olive toast recipe with photo was shared with us by the California Olive Committee. They also included some pro tips for crafting you own artistic toasts:
- Have a vision, and don’t be afraid to sketch it out before you start slicing.
- The base of your toast is everything. Pick a sturdy variety that can support your toppings.
- Consider your ingredients and play with flavors, textures and colors. For example, you can incorporate both green and black olives for greater versatility.
- Shapes, colors and textures can add excitement. But always keep the flavors in mind when pairing them visually.
- Toast is a mini canvas, so consider the tools you’re working with and get creative.
Special Diet Notes: Winter Wonderland Olive Toast
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian. You can even make it paleo with your favorite paleo-friendly bread and cream cheese alternative!
- 2 slices dairy-free bread (white, whole-grain, or gluten-free), toasted
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free cream cheese alternative, or as needed
- 5 slices red bell pepper
- 1 very small orange bell pepper slice or grated piece of carrot
- 2 black olives, 1 jumbo and 1 medium
- 5 small sugar snap peas or green peas
- 1 pretzel stick (gluten-free, if needed), cut in half
- 3 green olive slices (1 olive)
- 4 slices dairy-free cheese alternative (your favorite type), optional
- 8 cilantro or parsley leaves, optional for garnish
- Slice one piece of toast into a circle with 4-inch round cutter, small bowl, or large glass.
- Slice a second piece of toast into a half-circle with a 4-inch diameter. This will act as the base of the snow globe.
- Spread 1 tablespoon dairy-free cream cheese alternative onto the bottom fifth of the circular toast and onto the whole half circle (the base).
- Cover the base of snow globe with slices of red bell pepper, cut to the correct width.
- Stack the medium black olive above the jumbo black olive to make a snowman, affixing them to the toast with a little of the cream cheese alternative.
- Affix two small sugar snap peas to the body of the snowman for buttons, pretzel stick arms to the sides, a very small piece orange bell pepper for nose and two small dots of cream cheese alternative for the eyes.
- Decorate the base with green olive slices and peas in the center.
- Place remaining cream cheese in small plastic bag and cut small hole in corner. Pipe dots on the circular toast around the snowman.
- If desired, use snowflake cookie cutters to cut snowflake shapes out of the cheese alternative. Arrange the cheesy snowflakes on the plate with the cilantro or parsley leaves, if using.