This recipe for dairy-free French toast is a “main course” entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Denise Viola. For dredging the bread, she uses Cashew Milk Beverage from So Delicious.
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: https://www.godairyfree.org/news/so-delicious-dairy-free-3-course-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Dairy-Free French Toast
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, peanut-free, and vegetarian. Make it gluten-free by using your favorite gluten-free bread for the Italian bread. It is easily soy-free, as long as you choose a soy-free margarine for making the buttercream.
- 2 cups So Delicious Dairy Free Original Cashew Milk Beverage
- 1 loaf Italian Bread
- 2 cups egg substitute
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cups whole cashews
- 1 cup organic maple syrup
- ½ cup dairy-free “buttercream" frosting for lettering the French toast
- Non-stick fat-free cooking spray
- First slice Italian Bread into 4 thick slices and place on a plate.
- Then grab a mixing boil, pour So Delicious Cashew Milk, Egg Substitute, Vanilla Extract and Cinnamon into bowl.
- Whisk ingredients thoroughly into a mixture.
- Proceed by dipping 1 slice of bread into the mixture into bread evenly absorbs french toast mixture.
- Then grab a small bowl and pour 1-1/2 cups of cashews into the bowl.
- Start to crush cashews into smaller pieces, not into dust though.
- Next, spray a skillet pan with non-stick fat-free cooking spray and place the slice of bread dipped in the mixed french toast mixture onto the skillet.
- Grab the bowl with crushed cashews, and sprinkle onto crushed cashews.
- Let the first slice of french toast cook on skillet for a minute and a half (Medium heat), flip gently being careful to keep the cashews on the french toast for about a minute or until lightly brown.
- Then remove french toast slice with spatula and place on serving platter.
- Repeat steps 3-9 for the next 3 slices, and place each slice on top of one another like a tower
- Pour Dairy-Free Organic Maple Syrup on top of tower of french toast
- Pour ½ a cup of whole cashews around the tower of french toast
- Decorate top slice of French Toast that tops the french toast tower with your designed message.