Banana bread might sound ordinary, but this naturally dairy-free recipe has extra touches that make it a holiday-worthy indulgence. Let’s start with the fact that this is chocolate chunk banana bread. We’re not talking little mini chips here, but nice big semi-sweet or dark chocolate chunks. This bread is also made with luxurious olive oil for a richer, more flavorful finish. And finally, it has an artisan-style topping that any bake shop would be proud to display.
Chocolate Chunk Banana Bread Enriched with Bakery-Style Indulgence
When a quick bread looks this decadent, you might be tempted to grab a thick slice and dig in. I wouldn’t stop you. But it’s also a wonderful recipe to enjoy with various garnishes.
For dessert, serve a generous slice with a side of dairy-free whipped cream or topped with a scoop of dairy-free ice cream. Vanilla is great, but an ice cream with banana, caramel, or coffee would also be delicious.
For an afternoon treat, drizzle this chocolate chunk banana bread with a little honey or slather on some dairy-free chocolate spread. A few brands include Nocciolata Dairy Free, Don’t Go Nuts, Nutiva, and Peanut Butter & Co. Enjoy it with a mug of tea or coffee, or with a glass of dairy-free milk beverage.
For breakfast, balance the sweetness with a natural peanut, nut, or seed butter. It makes a fulfilling morning treat!
Sometimes people share feedback on social media. Here is a recent comment from @kendahelali on Instagram:
I just made this! Amazing!!! 🙏
This recipe with photo was shared with us by Bertolli.com.
Special Diet Notes: Chocolate Chunk Banana Bread
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, optionally nut-free, optionally peanut-free, optionally soy-free, and vegetarian.
For egg-free and vegan chocolate chunk banana bread, see my Egg Substitute Guide. Most of the egg swaps should work quite well in this quick bread.
- ¾ cup olive oil (a mild version, like Bertolli), plus additional for coating pan
- 3 ripe medium bananas, divided
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large egg (see Notes above for egg-free)
- 1 large egg white (see Notes above for egg-free)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate chunks or chopped dark chocolate
- ¼ cup peanut, tree nut, or seed butter (your choice of type!)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan with olive oil.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mash 2 of the bananas. Add the applesauce, egg, egg white, and vanilla and whisk to combine.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Add the olive oil slowly and mix until it is incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chunks.
- Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan and even it out.
- Heat the nut or seed butter in the microwave until it reaches pourable consistency (just a few seconds!). Swirl the warm nut or seed butter into the top of the banana bread batter. Thinly slice the remaining banana into long, flat strips. Lay the slices on top of the batter.
- Baker for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out relatively clean (it might have some banana or melted chocolate clinging to it).
- Let the bread cool completely before slicing it.