Reprinted with permission of Ramblin’ Amblins’ – “In honor of spring, I am posting one of my favorite cookie recipes! These are mildly lemon cookies with an intensely lemony sugary icing. Yum-o!!! It’s milk, egg, peanut and nut free so that it’s safe for Mr 7. For the most part, I make all of our meals, desserts, etc “safe” because it’s just easier that way. Also, it’s a lot safer for Mr 7 due to the severity of his allergies. Here’s the recipe:”
Special Diet Notes: Lemon Cookies
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- ⅓ cup dairy-free milk beverage
- ½ cup dairy-free margarine (I use Earth Balance sticks for baking)
- 1¾ cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- equivalent of 1 egg (I use EnerG Egg Replacer)
- 1¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350. Stir the 2 tsp lemon juice into the milk. Let stand 5 mins. Beat margarine with mixer on med-high speed for 30 seconds. Add half the flour, ¾ c of the sugar, the egg equivalent, baking powder, soda, lemon peel, and the milk mixture. Beat until thoroughly combined. Beat in remaining flour.
- Drop by rounded teaspoons onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool cookies. Stir together remaining sugar and the 2Tbs lemon juice; brush this on the cookies. Makes about 48 cookies (or 36 if you’re like me and you like bigger cookies!).