Nothing says spring like fragrant herbed side dishes! This easy gluten-free quinoa pilaf, although simple to make, is the perfect mild accompaniment to serve with flavorful grilled chicken or fish. For even more spring flair, feel free to add roasted asparagus or broccoli florets.
Get creative with your herbs, too. Mint, dill, and tarragon would be equally delicious swaps for the parsley, chives, and thyme in this gluten-free quinoa recipe. And if, like me, you can hardly bare to make a side dish without some type of nut or seed, add toasted slivered almonds, pine nuts, or sunflower seeds for a bit of buttery crunch.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup frozen peas, thawed
- ¼ cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped thyme
- 2 scallions, white and green parts thinly sliced
- 1 stalk celery, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ Teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Bring quinoa and water to boil in a medium pot over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until water is absorbed and quinoa is fluffy; about 12-15 minutes.
- Transfer quinoa to large mixing bowl and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes.
- Add the peas, parsley, chives, thyme, scallions, and celery to the quinoa. Stir to combine with a fork.
- Add the lemon juice, olive oil, granulated garlic, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill pilaf for at least one hour before serving. (Can be refrigerated for up to 8 hours.)