Once the baskets have been rifled and the eggs have all been gathered, you can add making chocolate-covered crispy egg Easter treats to your Sunday to-do list. Save some of those plastic eggs, gather the ingredients for your favorite crispy treats (suggested recipes below), and let the kids go to work!
What is so wonderful about this Easter treats recipe is the simple ingredient list, the ability to customize to almost any special diet, and of course, the messy factor. Even as an adult, I love hands-on food activities that involve molds, dipping, and inevitably getting chocolate everywhere.
You can use the traditional crispy treat recipe (using dairy-free margarine in place of the butter), make it vegan with vegan marshmallows (like Dandies or Ricemellow Creme), up the indulgence with Oreos, or even “healthify” them, using natural sweeteners and perhaps some nut or seed butter to act as the glue. Even my coconut crispy Easter baskets work great as crispy eggs!
Special Diet Notes: Chocolate-Covered Rice Crispy Easter Treats
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, optionally vegan, optionally vegetarian, and optionally top food allergy-friendly. Just be sure to use caution and reference the notes above when selecting ingredients to fit your dietary needs.
- Prepare your favorite crispy rice treat mix.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes; then spoon mix into egg molds of any size and place in freezer to set.
- Melt one bag of chocolate chips with the oil.
- Release the “eggs” from their molds.
- For the chocolate lovers, dip the “eggs” into the melted chocolate mix.
- Place on wire rack to set.
- When completely cooled, wrap in cellophane and tie with ribbon, or simply devour!