This post is part two of this month’s Kids Can Cook section by the Hatfields. Katherine and her “mama,” Sarah, decorated their favorite dairy-free sugar cookies to look like melting snowman cookies. And today they have the vegan vanilla icing recipe and decorating tips for you!
Katherine and I whipped up a batch of our classic dairy-free sugar cookies for her siblings’ winter birthday party. We planned to let the party guests decorate their own sugar cookies to look like melting snowmen. But they were having so much fun they didn’t even want to stop to eat, let alone decorate cookies! So, Katherine and I made our own fun creating some examples to show you.
Directions for these melting snowman cookies can be found below. But don’t be afraid to get creative with your own winter shapes and decoration ideas. One year we used a mitten cookie cutter for the cookies, frosted them in different colors, and placed a large marshmallow “snowball” on each of them.
Special Diet Notes: Dairy-Free Melting Snowman Cookies
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, and vegetarian.
For egg-free and vegan melting snowman cookies, make vegan sugar cookies and choose the vegan options below.
For gluten-free and dairy-free melting snowman cookies, use gluten-free sugar cookies (skip the filling, just roll and cut!).
- 1 batch Classic Dairy-Free Sugar Cookies
- 3 cups powdered confectioners' sugar
- ⅓ cup dairy-free margarine (we use Smart Balance)
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 to 2 tablespoons unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a mixing bowl, mix the powdered sugar, margarine, and salt with a hand mixer until creamy, about 2 minutes. Start with the hand mixer on low speed to avoid powdered sugar clouds. Increase it to medium speed once the sugar is mostly incorporated.
- Gradually beat in 1 tablespoon of milk beverage and the vanilla until combined. Optionally mix in the additional 1 tablespoon of milk beverage to reach your desired consistency.
- Frost a cookie with vanilla frosting.
- Place a large marshmallow in the center of the cookie.
- Wrap a fruit strip "scarf" around the "neck." You may need to fold the "scarf" in half so it doesn't cover the snowman's face.
- Draw a face on the marshmallow with black frosting or a black food marker.
- Draw a carrot nose with orange frosting or an orange food marker.
- Tuck two pretzel stick halves on the sides of the snowman head under the edges of the scarf.
Key Pantry Supplies: Dairy-Free Melting Snowman Cookies