Special Diet Notes: Reduced Fat Pulled Pork
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, and soy-free.
- 1 large onion, halved (NOT chopped up) and skin removed
- 1 inexpensive pork roast (about 2 pounds)
- ¼ cup vinegar of your choice (regular distilled works fine; cider vinegar adds nice flavor)
- Set crockpot on low and cook all day (8-10 hours). When you get home from work, you will be greeted by wonderful aromas.
- Remove the onion halves and set aside. Remove pork and drain fat from crock pot. Break the pork into chunks and pick out any visible fat. Place the pork chunks in a large colander and spray with hot water. This step reduces the fat considerably and also breaks down the size of the chunks.
- Return the pork to the crock pot. Finely chop the reserved onion and add it to the pork.
- Warm barbecue sauce of your choice (this is important because the crock pot is not hot enough to bring cold barbecue sauce up to temperature) and add it to the crock pot. Stir to coat the pork and onions.
- ***Optionally, you can skip the step of mixing in the sauce and just add some to your sandwich. This will reduce the overall amount of sauce you use.
- Serve on whole wheat buns with baked sweet potato “fries” on the side.