Everyone needs a good recipe for gingersnaps, and this simple one is naturally dairy free. These sweet and spicy cookies are perfect for holiday parties and gifting, or for dunking in milk beverage any old day.
Special Diet Notes: Gingersnaps
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
For egg-free and vegan gingersnaps, swap in 2 tablespoons of aquafaba. Or in a pinch, you can use 1 to 2 tablespoons of dairy-free milk beverage, as needed, in place of the egg white until a soft dough forms.
- ¾ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1¼ teaspoons ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- ⅓ cup dairy-free shortening (see Shortening Note below)
- 2 tablespoons unsulphured molasses
- 1 large egg white (see post above for egg-free/vegan options)
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 350 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Put the flours, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
- Put the ½ cup sugar and shortening in a medium mixing bowl. Beat with a hand mixer on medium-high speed until creamed, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add the molasses and egg white and beat for 3 minutes. Add the dry ingredients and stir to combine, or use the mixer on low speed. Don’t over-mix the dough. It should form a soft ball.
- Place the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar in wide, shallow bowl. Roll about 1 tablespoon of dough into a 1-inch ball. Roll the ball in the sugar to coat, and place it on your prepared baking sheet. Repeat, spacing the dough balls 2 inches apart.
- With the bottom of a glass, press each ball to flatten them into 1x3-inch disks.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Immediately remove the cookies to a wire rack.
- Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
- While the cookies bake, add the powdered sugar and lemon juice to a small bowl, and whisk until smooth.
- Using the tip of a knife, spread ¼ teaspoon glaze on top of each warm cookie then let them cool completely.
Key Pantry Ingredients: Gingersnaps