Recipe by Erika Waz, reprinted with the permission of Kids Cuisine: “Human Puppy Chow is something I learned to make during a stint in a grocery store deli. It was such a popular item, but I couldn’t get past the thought of eating something with the term “puppy chow” in the name. Boy, was I missing out. It wasn’t until a few years later when I actually sampled some that I realized how addictive this simple snack is. It’s now a frequent flier in our kitchen, as it is easy to make, and the recipe makes a lot of it. It’s also portable, so it’s a perfect addition to a family picnic or for giving as birthday treats.”
Special Diet Notes: Human Puppy Chow
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, vegan, and vegetarian. Optionally gluten-free and soy-free.
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup creamy peanut butter
- 6 cups Crispix cereal (Chex also works nicely)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- In a large microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips on high for one minute. If the chips aren’t melted yet, continue heating, 30 seconds at a time, until melted. Stir in creamy peanut butter until smooth. Pour mixture over Crispix cereal, and gently toss to coat the cereal.
- Place the powdered sugar in a 2 gallon storage bag. Add cereal mixture to bag and seal tightly. Gently toss until the cereal is coated with the powdered sugar. Pour onto a baking sheet until completely cooled. Stores for two weeks in an airtight container.