Go Dairy Free

Go Dairy Free Cookbook - Dairy-Free Recipes, Guide and More

Ultra-Rich Chocolate Fudge Brownies

Alisa Fleming ~ There is no doubt that Tony is the chocoholic in our household. Though my husband doesn’t demand the cocoa bean daily, if he spots anything chocolate in the house then I can assure you that it won’t survive very long. These super-rich chocolate fudge gluten-free brownies were his latest victim.

Ultra-Rich Chocolate Fudge Dairy-Free and Gluten-Free Brownies

Tony was craving a sweet, and I knew that dairy-free and gluten-free brownies would not only hit the spot, but would also be a breeze to whip up. However, rather than sticking with my old tried and true recipe, I decided to adventure something different. I wanted to see how some flourless or near flourless gluten-free brownies would turn out, so I turned to David Lebovitz for inspiration.

Like most flourless brownies, David’s version relies on butter. I modified his recipe quite a bit to get the fudgy gluten-free brownies below, and the end result was still amazing. I even snuck a couple slices away to neighbors to ensure that they would be loved by all. The feedback was “mmm, SO chocolaty!” No one suspected that these were dairy-free, let alone gluten-free brownies.

Aside from those two squares to our neighbors, I got a small brownie for myself. The rest of the pan was polished clean by Tony is less than two days! I think that speaks for itself.

These are fudgy gluten-free brownies; they are not cakey by any means. Though they look quite moist in the photo, they are set up, and not wet. I would call them a cross between your run of the mill brownie and chocolate fudge.

Ultra-Rich Chocolate Fudge Dairy-Free and Gluten-Free Brownies

Please note that I have not yet tested this dairy-free recipe without eggs. It would be a tricky one since it is flourless and uses just a bit of starch. Ener-G eggs may be a good option, but I think flax eggs, applesauce, or similar (without additional ingredient tweaking) would prevent the brownies from setting up. If you confuse eggs with dairy, you’re not alone! See my post on Are Eggs Dairy?

If you prefer to use less-processed sugars in your baking, coconut sugar should work in place of the brown sugar, but I would run it through a spice grinder to powder it a bit, since coconut sugar doesn’t always melt into baked goods. These gluten-free brownies would be a touch less sweet with coconut sugar, but still rich and fudgy.

Ultra-Rich Chocolate Fudge Brownies

Prep time

Cook time

Total time

This recipe is naturally dairy-free, gluten-free, and even virtually flourless! It is adapted from David Lebovitz
Author:
Serves: 9 to 12 brownies

Ingredients

Instructions
  1. Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
  2. Grease and flour an 8×8-inch baking pan – you can use any flour (gluten-free, all-purpose, or even starch), I used brown rice flour.
  3. Melt the oil and two chocolates together in a double broiler, or the lazy way, as I do, in the microwave. For the microwave, place them all in a microwave-safe bowl, and cook on high in 30 second intervals, stirring vigorously in between. Heat until the chocolate is just barely melted and no more to prevent scorching. It usually takes a total of 60 to 90 seconds (just 30 seconds with mini chips!), depending on the size of chocolate used.
  4. Pour the chocolate mixture into a mixing bowl (making sure to scrape it all in there!), and blend in the sugar, eggs, maple syrup, and vanilla.
  5. Sift in the starch.
  6. Beat the batter with a mixer for at least one minute (this part is essential!) – it will be quite thick.
  7. Pour the batter into your prepared pan, and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until set in the center. A toothpick inserted into the brownies should come out relatively clean, with just a few crumbs clinging.
  8. Now here comes the hard part – let the brownies cool completely before cutting and serving! This doesn’t always happen in our house, but be forewarned that any brownies stolen while still warm will be more crumbly. They will still make an amazing brownie sundae though.

Notes
These will keep for a few days at room temperature, but I prefer to store them in the refrigerator.

Tagged , , , , , , ,

About Alisa Fleming

Alisa is the founder of GoDairyFree.org, Senior Editor for Allergic Living magazine, and author of the best-selling dairy-free book, Go Dairy Free: The Guide and Cookbook for Milk Allergies, Lactose Intolerance, and Casein-Free Living. Alisa is also a professional recipe creator and product ambassador for the natural food industry. Follow me on Google+.

View all posts by Alisa Fleming →

27 Comments

1. MelissaSeptember 9, 2012 at 8:49 amReply

These brownies definitely look rich and decadent! Your gluten-free AND dairy-free creations are amazing!
    Melissa
    PS Must share this with all my GF/DF friends. On second thought, must share this with everyone I know! =)

2. TaylorSeptember 9, 2012 at 1:02 pmReply

Yum! Can’t wait to try making this! I will definitely let you know how it turns out!

3. Shirley @ gfeSeptember 9, 2012 at 1:05 pmReply

I’m with Tony! Instant love for these babies, Alisa! :-)

Shirley

4. Bethany S.September 9, 2012 at 7:15 pmReply

Can agave or honey be subbed for the maple syrup? (I don’t have any on hand and REALLY want to make these, like NOW!☺)
    Also, can you use 8 oz. of semi-sweet chocolate chips and eliminate the unsweetened chocolate?

These look SO good. I love how they are “naturally” gluten-free and don’t require any “flour.”

• Alisa FlemingSeptember 9, 2012 at 7:19 pmReplyAuthor

Yes, that shouldn’t be a problem!

5. KatieSeptember 9, 2012 at 11:22 pmReply

YUM. A cross between a brownie and fudge? Will you marry me?!?

6. Alyssa | Queen of QuinoaSeptember 10, 2012 at 5:54 amReply

Tony knows the good stuff :) Give me chocolate anything and I’m a happy gal. These look delicious, Alisa!

7. MaggieSeptember 10, 2012 at 4:32 pmReply

YUM! This coming from a girl who just finished a chocolate bar – dairy-free of course :)

8. Ultra-Rich Chocolate Fudge Brownies from Go Dairy Free | TasterieSeptember 11, 2012 at 8:21 amReply

[...] Ultra-Rich Chocolate Fudge Brownies [...]

9. Danielle @ Fresh4FiveSeptember 11, 2012 at 11:21 amReply

Wow these do look amazingly rich and simple to make!

10. JoanneSeptember 13, 2012 at 4:56 amReply

I’m pretty sure I NEED a batch of these. ASAP.

11. AltaSeptember 13, 2012 at 5:25 pmReply

Om. Nom. I’m a sucker for fudgy brownies.

12. MarnieSeptember 24, 2012 at 12:15 pmReply

These brownies are the best!!! Thank you so much. My family is grain-free and dairy free b/c of stomach issues and this recipe is just awesome! My 6 yr old daughter thanks you too.

13. HNOctober 11, 2012 at 1:08 pmReply

EGGS ARE NOT DAIRY!

14. marieNovember 7, 2012 at 11:40 pmReply

Thank you so much for this recipe! I’ve discovered a few months ago that my health problems were caused by milk and I’ve been struggling to find good baking recipes. Most recipes on the Internet are either tasteless and dry, or call for ingredients that are hard to find and I wouldn’t use every day. YOUR recipe, however, is fantastic! I used only 70g chocolate because I didn’t have enough and compensated with 4 tbsp cocoa powder. It’s rich, chocolatey, and moist and utterly delicious =) My friends didn’t know there was no butter in it and all have asked for the recipe! Thank you!

• Alisa FlemingNovember 8, 2012 at 6:52 amReplyAuthor

So glad you enjoyed the recipe marie!! The sign of a good treat is definitely recipe requests :)

15. MarionNovember 21, 2012 at 4:04 pmReply

Oh my goodness, these are AMAZING. My lactose intolerant daughter loves this recipe and thanks you for the post. If they survive the trip, a perfect Thansgiving after dinner treat.

• Alisa FlemingNovember 21, 2012 at 5:17 pmReplyAuthor

Haha, they are addicting! Glad I could share some brownie deliciousness with you and your daughter, Marion. Happy Holidays!

16. FannyApril 9, 2013 at 8:19 pmReply

Can you substitute arrowroot for the corn starch in this recipe? They look wonderful!

• Alisa FlemingApril 10, 2013 at 7:13 amReplyAuthor

Any starch (arrowroot, potato, tapioca) should work okay, though the results may vary slightly. I’ve only tested with cornstarch thus far.

17. MelissaJune 14, 2013 at 5:36 pmReply

Has anyone made these with just cocoa powder and/or 10X sugar? I don’t have access to dairy free chocolate chips. Just unsweetened cocoa.

• Alisa FlemingJune 15, 2013 at 7:47 amReplyAuthor

Melissa, the melted chocolates form some of the structure. If you replaced with cocoa powder and sugar, the result would be drier. It isn’t something I’ve tested for this recipe. Note that this recipe doesn’t use unsweetened cocoa at all, it uses melted unsweetened chocolate (like Baker’s Chocolate).

18. Dairy-Free Ice Cream Sodas, Sundaes, and Sandwiches - Go Dairy FreeJune 30, 2013 at 5:42 pmReply

[...] some delicious brownies (my chewy fudgy brownies from Go Dairy Free: The Guide and Cookbook or my flourless brownies are the recipes of choice here). While warm, top with mint chip coconut milk ice cream and [...]

19. Top 10 Favorite Foods for Delicious Gluten-Free Fiber | daily digestAugust 22, 2013 at 11:06 amReply

[…] chocolate or tablespoon of cocoa powder Love it: Indulge in some dairy-free Dark Chocolate Bars, Ultra-Rich Gluten-Free Brownies or keep the sugars low with this Hot […]

20. KellyNovember 1, 2013 at 11:12 amReply

Was just curious.. If you skipped the mixer process who they still turn out, but not so thick and fudge like?

• Alisa FlemingNovember 1, 2013 at 2:36 pmReplyAuthor

Kelly, this step helps with distributing the binding of the cornstarch. Can’t say that it would be lighter. For cakey brownies, more starch/flour would be needed and leavener.