High Fiber, Lower Carb Maple Morning Muffins
Author: Goodbaker Vegan Gourmet Baking Mixes
- ½ cup oat bran
- ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ⅓ cup whole soy flour
- ⅓ cup oatmeal (rolled oats)
- ⅓ cup wheat bran
- ⅓ cup ground flax seed
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vital wheat gluten OR 2 tbsps starch (cornstarch, tapioca starch, arrowroot)
- ½ cup raisins and/or walnuts and/or other dried fruit
- 1-1/4 cups applesauce
- ⅓ cup maple syrup (or an equivalent amount of your preferred dry sweetener plus ¼ cup water)
- 1 tsp vanilla (optional)
- 1 or 2 tbsps oil (optional)
- Combine all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl, and stir with a whisk or spoon to combine thoroughly.
- Pour in the applesauce, maple syrup (or other sweetener and water), and optional oil.
- Mix gently, just enough to combine. Do not over-mix. It's OK to leave a few dry lumps.
- Spoon batter into a lined muffin tin, and bake at 350 degrees for about 18 minutes, or until the tops turn golden.
Hints: We’ve tried to use ingredients that are readily available. But it’s also a very flexible recipe. So if you don’t have both the wheat bran and the oat bran, simply substitute with more of the one you do have. If you don’t have either, substitute with more oatmeal. Or if you are missing any of the first 5 ingredients, just substitute with more whole wheat pastry flour.