Recipe provided by Pacific Natural Foods…
- 1 (12-14lb.) Turkey
- 1 lb. light rye bread, day old and cubed
- 1/2 lb. dark rye bread, day old and cubed
- 1-1/2 cups onion, diced
- 2 large cooking apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance Buttery Spread or Shortening
- 3/4 cups salted mixed nuts
- 2 tbsp. dried parsley
- 2 tsp. salt
- 3 tsp. dried thyme
- 1-1/2 tsp. rubbed sage
- 3/4 tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 3-1/2 cup Pacific Natural Foods Free Range Chicken Broth
- 2 tbsp vegetable or canola oil
Place the bread cubes in a large bowl. Sauté the onions, apples, celery and garlic in the butter until tender. Add to the bread cubes. Add the nuts, seasonings and enough Pacific Free Range Chicken Broth to moisten. Mix well.
Brush the top of the turkey with some oil. Cover lightly with tented foil. Bake in a 325° oven for 4 hours. Remove Turkey from the oven and siphon off most turkey drippings from pan. Add stuffing to sides of Turkey so that they will cook together 1 final hour or until meat thermometer reads 185°. Brush with oil occasionally.
Separate the Turkey from the Stuffing before slicing.
NOTE: Additional stuffing can be baked in a greased 2 quart casserole dish. Cover and cook in a 325° oven for 1 hour and then uncovered for 10 minutes.