Submitted by Nomad – Good soup, nice spice. I altered this Quick Coconut Soup recipe from an old Cooking Light magazine, very easy. I am not a big cilantro fan, so I don’t always have it on hand. I used fresh basil instead and it was fantastic!
Special Diet Notes: Quick Coconut Soup
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, soy-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, and nut-free.
- 2 teaspoon chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ t grated lime rind (optional)
- ¼ t chile paste with garlic
- 3 oz medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 14.5 oz can chicken broth
- ¾ cup light coconut milk (or skim the cream off of regular coconut milk and use the lighter liquid)
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- 1.5 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro (basil maybe)
- ½ teaspoon fresh lime juice
- ⅓ cup hot cooked basmati rice
- Combine the first 7 ingredients in a med saucepan, and bring mix to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 10 min.
- Remove from heat, stir in coconut milk, onions, chopped cilantro, and lime juice. Spoon rice into a soup bowl, ladle soup over rice.