Submitted by Nomad – Good soup, nice spice. I altered this recipe from an old Cooking Light magazine, very easy. I am not a big cilantro fan, so I don't always have it on hand. I used fresh basil instead and it was fantastic!
- 2 t chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1 t fish sauce
- 1/2 t minced garlic
- 1/2 t grated lime rind (optional)
- 1/4 t chile paste with garlic
- 3 oz medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 14.5 oz can chicken broth
- 3/4 c light coconut milk (or skim the cream off of regular coconut milk and use the lighter liquid)
- 1 T chopped green onion
- 1.5 t chopped fresh cilantro (basil maybe)
- 1/2 t fresh lime juice
- 1/3 c hot cooked basmati rice
Combine the first 7 ingredients in a med saucepan, and bring mix to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 10 min.
Remove from heat, stir in coconut milk, onions, chopped cilantro, and lime juice. Spoon rice into a soup bowl, ladle soup over rice.