Is there such a thing as too much broccoli? No seriously. The fact that I ate half a pound of broccoli in one sitting doesn’t indicate that I have a problem does it? Perhaps I have a slight love for those little green trees, or perhaps this recipe for Sautéed Lemon-Garlic Broccoli was just too darn good.
While broccoli may not seem adventurous to some, I really hadn’t ventured beyond steamed and sprinkled with salt, so a new flavor or two was in order. It was my first recipe from the Barefoot Contessa, and she definitely did not let me down. Of course, I made a few little changes to the recipe to make it my own and to keep it dairy-free. I also found, that if you wanted to go lower in fat, you could get away with a bit less oil.
Special Diet Notes: Sauteed Lemon-Garlic Broccoli
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, gluten-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 1 lb (16oz / 454g) broccolini or broccoli florets
- ½ teaspoon salt, plus a dash for the boiling water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 heaping teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to boil with a dash of salt. Add the broccoli and allow it to cook for 2 minutes. Drain the broccoli immediately, and submerge it in a bowl of ice water to quickly stop the cooking process.
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium-low heat. Add the lemon zest and garlic and give it a quick stir. Drain the broccoli well, and add it to the sauté pan. Sauté the broccoli for just 2 minutes or until it is heated through. Add the lemon juice, ½ teaspoon salt, and pepper, and toss well before serving.