Recently, I’ve been loving everything hemp! My go to brand is always Living Harvest. They make various types of hemp products under the brand name Tempt – hemp milk, hemp ice cream, hemp protein powder, and hemp oil – all dairy-free of course, but also pretty darn close to allergen-free. My latest creation… Homemade Freezer Waffles!
Hemp milk is a bit richer than most store-bought rice milks, almond milks, and soymilks, but it also has a slightly distinctive taste. I like to compliment the flavor (it goes well with other nuts and seeds like in the syrup below) or use it in baked goods where it simply adds a very slight flavor and some richness. If you can’t find hemp milk, you can sub your favorite milk alternative as needed.
I love these during the winter months since they are hearty, filling, and they freeze very well. Simply pop them in the toaster and server – just like you would with store-bought frozen waffles, but without all of the yucky additives!
Note: Since these waffles are vegan, and a bit lower in gluten than your average waffle, they can stick if your waffle iron isn’t well greased. I use a Misto oil sprayer to give it another spritz between batches.
Special Diet Notes: Homemade Freezer Waffles
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, nut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 1 cup oats (I use rolled, but any cut will do since you are blending them)
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup original or vanilla Hemp Milk, plus additional if needed
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce*
- 2 tablespoons oil (I use extra-light olive oil)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Combine all ingredients except for the baking powder in your blender and whiz away until relatively smooth.
- Add the baking powder and give it a quick blend, just to combine.
- Let that sit for 10 minutes to thicken while you heat up and grease your waffle iron.
- Prepare waffles according to your waffle iron instructions. If the batter becomes to thick at any time, quickly blend in a little extra hemp milk, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Simply let them cool completely on a wire rack. Then place them in a zip top freezer bag and pop them in! I use the large freezer bags and stack them 2 high, four in a square, and lay flat on a freezer shelf. To prepare, simply pop in the toaster and enjoy a hearty breakfast on a busy morning!
Our favorite waffle topping has to be this Nutty Maple Syrup! It’s an easy and delicious way to boost up the protein of your typical maple syrup drizzle.
- ¼ cup favorite nut or seed butter
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 to 4 tablespoons original or vanilla hemp milk
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- Pinch salt (if using unsalted nut butter)
- In a small bowl, whisk together nut/seed butter, maple syrup, 2 tablespoons of hemp milk, cinnamon and salt. If it's too thick, whisk in additional hemp milk until it reaches desired consistency.