I’m slowly transitioning recipes from my old blog, Alisa Cooks, to Go Dairy Free, and it’s time for these Apricot Raspberry Crumble Bars to take their place. I haven’t had the chance to shoot new photos, but I think you can still see the wonderful texture in these old images.
Dairy-Free Apricot Raspberry Crumble Bars made with Fresh Fruit
I came up with the idea for these apricot raspberry crumble bars when we were signed up for a summer fruit CSA. Our home was overflowing with apricots and we had a neighborhood 4th of July barbecue on the horizon. I opted to make a dairy-free, fresh fruit version of my favorite traditional crumble bars, and they were a huge hit!
Unlike similar recipes, the fruit isn’t cooked down in advance. Instead, I add it fresh and allow it to cook inside the bars. I also spike the dough and filling with a little fresh-squeezed orange juice. The result is a delicious infusion of flavor.
Special Diet Notes: Apricot Raspberry Crumble Bars
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
For gluten-free apricot raspberry crumble bars, you can substitute your favorite all-purpose gluten-free flour blend for the flour. Do not use a single gluten-free flour, and use the egg, rather than an egg substitute, if possible.
- 3 cups all-purpose or whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup + ¾ to 1 cup sugar, divided
- ½ cup firmly-packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg (see Notes in post above for egg-free option)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup dairy-free buttery spread or sticks (I used Earth Balance soy-free)
- 4 tablespoons orange juice, divided
- 3 cups diced fresh apricots, packed
- 1 (6-ounce) pint raspberries
- 1 tablespoon non-GMO cornstarch or arrowroot starch
- 1 teaspoon orange zest (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 375ºF and grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, ½ cup sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a small dish, whisk together the egg and vanilla.
- Add the buttery spread or sticks and egg mixture to the flour mixture, and whisk or stir with a fork until thick evenly-sized crumbs form.
- Remove 2 full cups of the crumb mixture (about half) to another bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons orange juice to the remaining crumbs and combine. It should make a thick dough. Press the dough evenly into your prepared baking dish.
- In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the apricots, raspberries, remaining ¾ to 1 cup sugar (depending on the tartness of your fruit), remaining 2 tablespoons orange juice, starch, and zest (if using).
- Evenly spread the fruit mixture over top of the dough in your baking dish, and sprinkle with the reserved crumbles.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, or until the bars are slightly browned on top.
- Let cool completely before cutting into bars.