This beautiful autumn nourish bowl is a delicious way to enjoy a meatless Monday. It’s rich in protein from the beans, quinoa, and peanuts, but also high in antioxidants from all of the wintry vegetables.
According to a Harvard School of Public Health study published in the American Journal of Epidemiology, swapping healthy plant-based meals for some meals that contain animal protein can modestly lower type 2 diabetes risk. And plant-based bowls like this one are so easy to incorporate at lunch!
The red onions in this photo looked like purple cabbage to us, and we think that would actually be a great addition. You can roast purple cabbage with the other vegetables in this Autumn nourish bowl, but it may brown just a bit faster.
This Autumn Nourish Bowl recipe with photo was shared with us by the Georgia Peanut Commission.
Special Diet Notes: Autumn Nourish Bowl
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, tree nut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
For a peanut-free autumn nourish bowl, you can substitute seed butter for the peanut butter and omit the peanut garnish.
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 cup peeled and chopped butternut squash
- ¾ cup canned garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 head garlic (about 10 cloves), peeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped peanuts
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF and line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Place the Brussels sprouts, onion, squash, garbanzo beans, and garlic on your prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to evenly coat. Spread the vegetables out into a single layer.
- Roast for 20 minutes. Stir the vegetables for even browning. Roast for 10 to 20 more minutes or until slightly golden in color.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the peanut butter, lemon juice, water, and sriracha until smooth.
- Divide the quinoa between 2 bowls and top with the roasted vegetables and beans. Top with as much peanut butter sauce as you like, and garnish with the chopped peanuts.