This comforting BBQ Vegan Quesadillas recipe is another sample from Great Vegan BBQ Without a Grill by Linda and Alex Meyer.
This delicious cookbook is filled with vegan versions of burgers, pulled pork, ribs, wings, and so much more to enjoy indoors (in the winter) or outdoors (in summer). The chapters include:
- Meat-Free BBQ to Satisfy Meat Eaters
- Burgers and Sandwiches: From Way Up North to the Deep South
- Stick Food: Because Eating Food off a Stick Is Fun!
- Stuffed, Foiled and Smothered: Delectable Entrees for a Cozy Dinner
- Sides and Salads That Go with a Barbecue
- BBQ Dips to Bring to the Party
- Keeping It Saucy: BBQ Sauces and Rubs
Great Vegan BBQ Without a Grill is also full color with beautiful photography, making it gift-worthy for your favorite barbecue fan. Just try the sample recipe below for BBQ vegan quesadillas – you’ll be hooked!
Special Diet Notes: Kentucky Bourbon BBQ Vegan Quesadillas
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
For gluten-free BBQ vegan quesadillas, you can swap in your favorite gluten-free tortillas.
- 1 cup (113 g) raw cashews
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon (12 g) nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon ground sea salt
- ½ cup (120 ml) hot water
- 1 (14-oz [400-g]) block super firm tofu
- ⅓ cup (83 ml) Big Mama’s Homemade BBQ Sauce (page 161), plus extra for drizzling
- 3 teaspoons (9 g) coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 cup (240 ml) bourbon
- 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 12 (6-inch [15-cm]) or 8 (8-inch [20-cm]) flour tortillas
- Cilantro, for topping
- Cover the raw cashews in hot water for 3 hours. For best results soak overnight in the refrigerator. Drain and rinse.
- Place the cashews, lemon juice, garlic, smoked paprika, nutritional yeast, salt and water in the blender and blend on a high speed until smooth and creamy. The cheese should be slightly thin but not runny. Set aside.
- Press the liquid out of the tofu, approximately 10 minutes. Crumble the tofu into a small bowl with the BBQ sauce, toss until coated and set aside in the refrigerator.
- In a small saucepan on medium heat, whisk the sugar and the bourbon until the sugar is dissolved and it begins to boil. Reduce the heat to low and stir constantly until it’s reduced to a thick and sticky marinade, approximately 10 minutes.
- Toss the peppers and onions in the bourbon–sugar mixture until well coated. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Heat the oil in a large pan on medium-high heat. Sauté the bell pepper–onion mixture and stir frequently until the onions become translucent. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring often, until the onions caramelize, approximately 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the tofu to the bell pepper–onion mixture, add salt and pepper to taste and stir for approximately 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Spread 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of cashew cheese on top of a tortilla, then a layer of the bell pepper–onion mixture on top of the cheese. Drizzle another tablespoon (15 ml) of cashew cheese on top of the veggies and put a tortilla on top. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Heat a grill pan or skillet on medium heat and brush with the oil. Cook the quesadillas for approximately 4 to 5 minutes per side or until golden brown (flip carefully).
- Let the quesadillas rest for 4 to 5 minutes, then slice into quarters. Drizzle with any extra BBQ sauce you have left and sprinkle with cilantro.
More Sample Recipes from Great Vegan BBQ Without a Grill
The Perfect Barbecue Gift Pack
These quesadillas look amazing!! ??? I guess it’s the bourbon that makes the dish more divine!
I’m taste-testing “bourbon” dairy-free ice cream right now, and there is something about bourbon!
Oh my gosh, this looks great! I love quesadillas but have never tried them with tofu or with a BBQ twist. That cashew cheese sounds amazing. Can’t wait to try these soon
Right? I always love a good cashew cheese.
Thank you for sharing this recipe from our cookbook, Alisa! We’re so grateful and love the review.
Thank you! It’s an amazing recipe.