This recipe for chicken brochettes is an entry in our Spring Fling Dairy-Free Recipe Contest, created and submitted by Michaela Rosenthal. To qualify, the recipe includes Almond Plus Protein Almond Milk by So Delicious Dairy Free.
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: www.godairyfree.org/news/spring-fling-dairy-free-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Chicken Brochettes with Green Olive Couscous
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, and soy-free.
For gluten-free and dairy-free chicken brochettes, you can substitute gluten-free couscous (takes 15 minutes to cook) or your favorite gluten-free grain.
- ½ cup So Delicious Dairy Free Almond Plus Protein Almond Milk
- ½ cup water
- 1 (7oz) box couscous
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, halved
- ⅓ cup basil-flavored olive oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 3 limes, plus extra for garnish
- ¼ cup chicken or vegetable broth
- ½ cup almond butter
- 2 tablespoons minced sun-dried tomatoes (packed in oil)
- ⅓ cup ripe green olives, quartered
- Bring almond milk and water to a gentle simmer; stir in boxed couscous. Cover and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the olive oil, garlic and zest & juice of 2 limes.
- Cut the chicken into 2" x 1-1/2" pieces, sprinkle with salt & pepper and transfer to the marinade. Allow to stand at room temp. for 20 minutes.
- Pour chicken broth into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Stir in almond butter and juice of one lime; turn heat to low and cook (stirring occasionally) for 3-4 minutes.
- Heat grill pan to medium-high and thread skewers with chicken pieces.
- Grill for 6-8 minutes; brushing chicken with almond butter-lime sauce; keep turning chicken and basting with sauce until chicken is just cooked through.
- Stir sun-dried tomatoes and green olives into couscous.
- To serve: divide couscous onto 4 warmed dinner plates and top each with 2 chicken brochettes. Garnish plate with lime wedges, if desired.