This simple, moist chocolate pumpkin cake recipe is naturally dairy-free. It contains an infusion of olive oil, which pairs nicely with chocolate in baked goods.
Recipe Tips: Chocolate Pumpkin Cake
Bertolli uses their extra-virgin olive oil in this chocolate pumpkin cake recipe. I prefer not to bake with extra-virgin since 350ºF is the upper limit for its smoke point. Instead, I personally use their extra-light olive oil when baking. It has a more neutral taste and a higher smoke point.
This chocolate pumpkin cake is light on chocolate to let more of the pumpkin flavor shine. You can increase the cocoa powder a little (2 to 3 tablespoons; preferably Dutch processed) without making it too bitter, or add some dairy-free chocolate chips! Stir about 1/2 cup chocolate chips into the batter before transferring it to your baking dish, or sprinkle them on the batter in the baking dish.
Bertolli has a couple versions of this chocolate pumpkin cake recipe online with differing salt amounts. This version converts to a generous 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Another version calls for about 1 teaspoon of salt, which seems like it might be just a little too much.
This Chocolate Pumpkin Cake recipe with photo was shared with us by Bertolli.com.
Special Diet Notes: Chocolate Pumpkin Cake
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
- 2 eggs
- 4½ ounces (about ⅔ cup) sugar
- 4½ ounces (about ½ cup + 1 tablespoon) olive oil
- 5¼ ounces (2/3 cup) pumpkin puree
- 4½ ounces (1 cup) all-purpose flour
- ⅓ ounce (about 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon) cocoa powder
- ⅛ ounce (a generous ½ teaspoon) salt
- 1/10 ounce (1/2 teaspoon) baking powder
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF and line an 8x8-inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl and add the sugar. Beat with a hand mixer until bubbles form. Slowly add the olive oil while whisking.
- Add the pumpkin. Sift in the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder. Whisk until well combined.
- Pour the batter into your prepared baking dish and level it out. Bake for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool for at least 15 minutes. Remove the cake from the dish using the parchment paper and slice to serve.