I’m so excited to announce today’s release of Super Seeds: The Complete Guide to Cooking with Power-Packed Chia, Flax, Hemp, Quinoa and Amaranth, by my friend Kim Lutz. To celebrate, and offer a taste of her new cookbook, Kim is sharing her golden corn soup recipe with us. It is naturally low-fat, vegan, gluten-free, and wonderfully nourishing for those of us on the dairy-free diet.
Super Seeds is filled with 75 convenient and versatile recipes, including muffins, breads, salads, soups, and desserts, in addition to nutritional information and everyday advice for getting the most out of these nutrient-dense seeds.
Throughout Super Seeds, Kim also shares tidbits about the ingredients used, such as the amaranth in this golden corn soup:
Amaranth’s vibrant colors and hardy disposition make it an excellent addition to home gardens, and it can be planted for decoration or eating. Varieties have either blonde or black seeds. Blonde seeds are preferred in cooked dishes, however, because black seeds can make for gritty eating. Some amaranth varieties have wonderfully evocative names like Elephant Head, Love Lies Bleeding, and Golden Giant.
Special Diet Notes: Creamy Golden Corn Soup
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan / plant-based, vegetarian, and generally top food allergy-friendly.
- 4 cups corn kernels, divided
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into medium dice (approximately 1 cup)
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and cut into medium dice (approximately 1 cup)
- 1 small or large yellow bell pepper, cut into medium dice (approximately 1 cup)
- 1 onion, cut into medium dice (approx. 1 cup)
- 1 cup dry amaranth
- 8 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or a few fresh thyme sprigs
- In a large soup pot, combine 2 cups of corn with the balance of (remaining) ingredients.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Blend mixture to a creamy consistency.
- Add in remaining corn and reheat.