This creamy vegan asparagus soup recipe helped Denver Post writer Doug Brown through his dairy-free trials. It’s a simple, nourishing blend from Chef Beverly Lynn Bennett, author of The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Vegan Living. She uses potatoes for a fulfilling base. A little milk beverage finishes it off, but we’ve also added some richer options. This recipe was originally shared with us back in 2007, but we’ve updated it for you to enjoy today!
Special Diet Notes: Creamy Vegan Asparagus Soup
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 1½ pounds asparagus, tough ends trimmed
- 3 cups Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 2 cups onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup cold water
- 1½ tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot starch
- ¼ cup freshly chopped parsley
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped basil
- 1 cup unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage (can sub lite coconut milk or full-fat coconut milk for creamier)
- 3 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon white pepper
- Thinly sliced lemon, for garnish (optional)
- Cut tips off asparagus and steam them for 2 to 3 minutes or until tender.
- Thinly slice asparagus stems diagonally and steam them for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Measure water left over from steaming, add enough water to measure 7 cups, and pour it into a large pot. Add the potatoes, onion, garlic and lemon juice, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the 1 cup cold water and starch to a blender or food processor and blend until combined.
- Strain the cooked vegetables from broth, reserving the cooking liquid. Transfer the cooked vegetables to the blender or food processor. Add ½ of the reserved steamed asparagus stems and process until smooth.
- Return the cooking liquid to the pot over medium-low heat. Add the parsley and basil and stir well. Add the puréed mixture, asparagus tips, remaining stems, milk beverage, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper and stir to combine.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld.
- Taste and add more seasoning, if needed.
- Serve hot or cold and optionally garnish with a thin slice of lemon.