This recipe for peanut butter chocolate chip cookies was originally tossed together by Sarah, when she took on a cookie challenge. I’ve since adapted it, and added more details. It’s based on the super easy 3-ingredient peanut butter cookies, but with a few delicious twists!
These Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies are Chunky Style
Unlike the classic flourless peanut butter recipe, this one uses crunchy peanut butter, has double the eggs, and is spiked with dairy-free chocolate chips. There aren’t many variables, since there are only five ingredients in this peanut butter chocolate chip recipe. But I do still have some notes and options for you.
- Eggs: Unlike the classic 3-ingredient peanut butter cookies recipe, this version use two eggs. They definitely don’t taste eggy. In fact, I think adding a second egg solves some of the textural issues with the classic recipe. That said, I don’t recommend using an egg substitute for this recipe. They don’t tend to work well. If you confuse eggs with dairy, you’re not alone! See this post: Are Eggs Dairy?
- Peanut Butter Choice: I used Skippy Natural Chunky Peanut Butter, which is a lightly salted, no stir variety. Sarah often recommends a natural “no stir” peanut butter spread for baking, and I do think it helps in this recipe.
- Peanut Butter Alternatives: Yes, you can substitute creamy peanut butter, almond butter, or even sunflower seed butter for nut-free. In fact, this is a great recipe for sunflower seed butter. When baked with baking soda, sunflower seed butter creates a harmless greenish hue (seriously!). Since this recipe is free of added leavener, the cookies won’t turn green!
Special Diet Notes: Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, grain-free, tree nut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian. See notes above for peanut-free options.
- 1 cup crunchy peanut butter (I used a natural, no stir, lightly salted variety)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips, or more as desired
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the peanut butter, sugar, eggs, and salt until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Drop the dough by the tablespoonful onto your prepared baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. They do spread a little.
- Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for 2 minutes before carefully removing them to a wire rack to cool completely. They will firm up as they cool.