This healthy cuban potato salad recipe with photo was shared with us by Cate O’Malley when she ran FitFare!
Potato salad is synonymous with summer, BBQs and picnics. Like peanut butter and jelly, you really can’t have one without the other. In a recent issue of Latina Magazine, there was a feature on three ways to make Cuban Potato Salad: traditional, healthy, and fast. Guess which one I chose? Gold star if you guessed healthy. Simple to make and flavorful enough that it got my I-don’t-eat-potato-salad husband to have not one, but two, helpings.
Special Diet Notes: Healthy Cuban Potato Salad
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, and peanut-free.
For egg-free Cuban potato salad, omit the egg and use vegan mayo.
For vegan Cuban salad, follow the egg-free recommendations and omit or substitute vegan bacon for the turkey bacon.
- 2 pounds potatoes
- 4 slices turkey bacon, thinly sliced (optional)
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup chopped dill pickles
- ½ cup chopped green olives
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- ¾ cup regular, reduced-fat, or vegan mayo
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 to 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Put the potatoes in a heavy-bottom saucepan and cover generously with cold water. Place the pot over high heat and bring the water to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes.
- In a large skillet, slowly fry the bacon until crisp, then drain, and crumble.
- When the potatoes are cool, peel and cut them into bite-size pieces.
- Put the potatoes and vinegar in a large bowl and gently stir to coat. Let cool for 10 minutes. Add the celery, onion, scallions, pickles, olives, and eggs.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the mayo, garlic powder, mustard, hot sauce, and black pepper.
- Pour the mayo dressing over the salad ingredients and stir to combine. Sprinkle the bacon over the salad and serve.