This classic, dairy-free butternut squash soup is a rich puree of fall’s best produce. It contains apples, rather than added sugar, and relies on pureed vegetables for a thick, cream consistency. Your guests will never guess that the recipe is naturally vegan, paleo, and allergy-friendly! It also includes an optional thyme buttery topping for a special finish.
This Dairy-Free Butternut Squash Soup recipe with photo was shared with us by SpiceIslands.com.
Special Diet Notes: Dairy-Free Butternut Squash Soup
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, sugar-free, optionally vegan, plant-based, and optionally vegetarian. It’s also paleo-friendly.
- 1 tablespoon extra-light olive oil, or your favorite oil for roasting
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 pounds (about 7 cups) butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium cooking apples, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
- 2 small onions, coarsely chopped
- 3½ to 4 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth, divided
- ½ cup water
- Salt, to taste (optional)
- Thyme Buttery Spread (optional; recipe below), for serving
- Preheat your oven to 425ºF.
- Put the squash, apples, and onions in a large bowl. Drizzle on the oil and sprinkle with the ginger and cayenne. Toss to evenly coat the ingredients.
- Transfer the squash, apples, and onions to a large baking sheet and spread them into a single layer.
- Roast for 35 to 45 minutes, or until tender.
- Working in batches, combine the squash mixture and about 2 cups of the broth in blender or food processor until smooth. This puree can be made in advance, covered, and refrigerated for up to 2 days.
- Transfer the puree to a large saucepan. Stir in the water and remaining broth, as needed to reach your desired consistency. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add salt, if needed.
- Ladle hot soup into individual bowls and top each serving with a slice of the thyme buttery spread, if using.
Key Pantry Supplies: Dairy-Free Butternut Squash Soup