This unique combination of caraway, dark chocolate, and smooth sultana raisins actually works surprisingly well together. This sultana and chocolate chip cake recipe (which contains just 8 ingredients total!) comes from the November 2008 issue of Foods Matter Magazine, an online magazine dedicated to to food allergies and intolerances.
Special Diet Notes: Sultana and Chocolate Chip Cake
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, and vegetarian.
- 6oz dairy-free spread (we used Pure Organic, in the US, try Earth Balance)
- 4oz castor sugar
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 3 eggs
- 6oz gluten and wheat-free flour or 3oz each gram and rice flour (we used the Doves Farm self-raising gluten-free flour)
- 1 teaspoon gluten/wheat free baking powder (if you do not use self-raising flour)
- 3oz dairy-free dark chocolate, drops or slab
- 3oz sultana raisins
- Heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4.
- Beat the spread with the sugar and caraway seeds in an electric mixer until they are pale and creamy.
- Mix in the eggs, one by one with the flour.
- Break up the chocolate, if it is in a slab, into small chips – do not grate it if you want decent size lumps – and stir into the cake mix along with the sultanas.
- Turn into a well greased cake tin with a removable bottom and bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack.