Janet Doane knows her almonds, after all, she is the author of Almond Essence, a dairy-free recipe book that shows you how to make and use (for seed cheeses, kefir, etc.) nut milk from sprouted almonds and other nuts and seeds.
As to be expected, Janet was more than a little disappointed when almond pasteuriation came into play, but she has sought out and found truly raw almonds from a number of suppliers. For your own resources, I have included Janet’s list below (thanks Janet!) as well as a raw vegan almond milk recipe to get you started.
www.traderjoes.com (they have raw organic almonds from Spain)
http://www.livingtreecommunity.com (raw almond butter)
Special Diet Notes: Raw Almond Milk
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1-1/2 cups raw almonds, soaked in water overnight
- 4 cups filtered or spring water
- 3-5 dates (optional)
- Soaok the almonds in water overnight.
- Drain and blend with the 4 cups of water.
- Blend with dates if you like your milk with a hint of sweetness.
- Strain once to remove almond granules.
- It can be stored safely for 3-4 days in the refrigerator.