I have heard rumor that Vegan Gourmet cheese actually melts! Try it out with this recipe.
Special Diet Notes: Low Fat Scalloped Potatoes
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian. Optionally nut-free and soy-free.
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter alternative spread (try Earth Balance Buttery Sticks)
- 2½ tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon salt, extra
- 1 tsp dried basil leaves
- 2½ cup unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage (lightly heated, but not boiled)
- ½ cup shredded dairy-free cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Layer potatoes and onions in a large casserole dish. Sprinkle ½ teaspoon of salt between layers.
- Melt butter alternative in a saucepan, remove from heat and stir through flour. Return mixture to heat and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and gradually add dairy-free milk, stirring until smooth. Return to heat and simmer, but do not boil, until mixture begins to thicken. Add extra ½ teaspoon of salt and basil.
- Pour sauce over layered potatoes. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove, sprinkle with dairy-free cheese if desired, and return to oven to cook for 15 minutes more, or until done.