This peas and escarole recipe was adapted from Moosewood Restaurant Simple Suppers by the Moosewood Collective.
“This quick side dish is so green and fresh-tasting that it seems the essence of spring, although with a package of frozen green peas, you can make it any time of year. Peas and escarole enhance each other wonderfully because of their contrasting tastes and textures. We suggest using organic ingredients whenever possible. Pair this delicious side with pasta or chicken—it’s especially tasty with our Moosewood Spicy Penne Puttanesca … and Organic Classics Chicken Marsala.”
Special Diet Notes: Peas and Escarole
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 1 10-ounce package of frozen petite sweet peas (2 cups)
- 1 8-ounce head of escarole
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or Earth Balance
- generous pinches of salt, black pepper, and sugar
- Defrost the peas by placing them in a colander and running hot tap water over them for a minute. Thoroughly rinse the escarole and cut it into fine shreds (about 4 cups).
- In a skillet on medium heat, sauté the escarole in the oil or butter for a minute or two, until bright green and wilted. Add the peas, salt, pepper, and sugar and cook, stirring constantly, just until the peas are hot, a minute or two.