Special Diet Notes: Raw Date Power Bars
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 4 cups soft and plump pitted dates, packed (about 1 ½ pounds)
- ½ cup agave nectar
- 1 cup tehina / tahini (sesame paste)
- 1 cup flax meal (ground flax seeds: Health food stores)
- 3-4 cups crunchy granola, larger pieces crumbled *
- 2 cups toasted sesame seeds (10-12 minutes in a preheated 300°F oven)
- In a food processor, process the dates and agave until a perfectly smooth paste forms.
- Transfer to a bowl, and add all but last ingredient.
- Combine thoroughly (it will be sticky: be patient).
- Press the mixture firmly into a greased cookie sheet, about ½ inch high.
- Press the sesame seeds firmly and evenly over the whole top.
- Refrigerate until firm. Cut into 1×3 inch bars.
Note that the granola is the wild card in this recipe when it comes to free-from needs. Whether you want these bars to be vegan, gluten-free, nut-free, or soy-free, be sure to pick the granola accordingly. To meet all of these needs, try Enjoy Life Foods Granola.