These brilliant berry apple turnovers are a “dessert” recipe entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, submitted by reader David Lintz. To make the pink color and sweetness of the dough come together, he uses an easy-to-find strawberry mix (see notes below) and Vanilla Coconut Milk Beverage or AlmondMilk from So Delicious.
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: https://www.godairyfree.org/news/so-delicious-dairy-free-3-course-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Berry Apple Turnovers
This recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, tree nut-free (with the Coconut Milk Beverage!), vegan, and vegetarian. For vegan, choose your sugar wisely, opting for organic cane sugar, if possible.
For the strawberry mix, Nesquik Strawberry is actually dairy-free! Though it isn’t the healthiest option (this is dessert!). For an all-natural option, Guilt-Free Strawberry Milk Mix from Just Like Sugar is also dairy-free, vegan, and made without top allergens.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup powdered strawberry “milk” mix (adds a sweet taste and bright color to the dough; see note in post above)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) dairy-free non-hydrogenated shortening or margarine
- 1 cup So Delicious Dairy Free Vanilla Almond Plus Milk or Coconut Milk Beverage
- 1 can apple pie filling (can substitute your favorite pie filling)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Sift together the flour, sugar, powdered strawberry mix, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut in the shortening or margarine with a fork or pastry blender.
- Add the milk beverage and mix together until the dough is smooth and the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Turn dough out onto floured board and divide into eight portions. Roll each portion large enough to hold ⅓ cup of the apple filling (about 5 to 6 inches in diameter).
- Place the apple filling into the center of each rolled out piece of dough
- Wet the dough edges and fold over the apples creating a pocket.
- Place the turnovers on a greased baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes.