Whole Foods has a nationwide sale today, Friday October 14th 2011, on raw, wild, 26/30 Wild Atlantic White Shrimp. They are just $7.99/pound in the seafood department at all Whole Foods Market stores throughout the U.S. – Today ONLY! But don’t worry, if you are reading this later, we have some timeless dairy-free recipes to share with you regardless, so read on …
As for the Whole Foods shrimp, they are sweet and tender Georgia whites, caught by U.S. shrimpers at the peak of season and frozen within hours of catching to lock in their freshness. They are of course, sulfite-free. According to Whole Foods, shell-on white shrimp make the perfect fall meal – simply sauté, broil, bake, grill, or stir-fry. These also make a simple, low-fat supper when boiled and served with cocktail sauce and a side salad.
Whether you catch the sale or not, below is a simple and nutritious Miso Soup with Shrimp recipe, plus some more inspirational dairy-free shrimp recipes:
- 6 cups vegetable or low-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ pound dried udon or somen noodles
- ½ pound frozen peeled and deveined shrimp, uncooked
- ½ pound (about 2½ cups) frozen broccoli florets
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons white or mellow miso, plus more to taste
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced green onions
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- In a large pot, bring broth to a boil.
- Submerge noodles in broth, arranging them across the bottom of the pot, cover and simmer until noodles are somewhat tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Scatter shrimp and broccoli over noodles, cover and simmer until shrimp are just cooked through, broccoli is bright green and noodles are tender, 4 to 5 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, whisk together water, miso and ginger in a medium bowl until smooth; set aside.
- Turn off heat and uncover pot.
- Stir in miso mixture and green onions then transfer soup to bowls.
- Garnish with pepper flakes and serve.
For Gluten-Free: Use gluten-free soba noodles, or simply your favorite gluten-free noodle brand. Avoid miso that is fermented with barley.
For Soy-Free: Believe it or not, not all miso is soy-based. Seek out a rice, chickpea, or barley version and verify the ingredients.
Diet Type: Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Nut-Free, Peanut-Free, Sugar-Free, Low-Fat, optionally Gluten-Free, optionally Soy-Free
More Delicious Dairy-Free Shrimp Recipes from Whole Foods:
- Boiled Cajun Shrimp
- Shrimp Salad with Lemon Dressing
- Shrimp and Fish in Aromatic Coconut Broth
- Sweet Spicy and Simple Steamed Shrimp
- Sausage and Shrimp Gumbo
- Butternut and Coconut Soup (pictured below)