I love it when truly all-natural food manage to compete with the “big guys” at catching kids eyes. Funky Monkey produces organic, freeze-dried fruit, but rather than following the pack with clear, boring tubs, they’ve created fun packaging that’s hard to miss.
Funky Monkey Snacks have been around for several years now, but they came onto my radar again when I was standing in a grocery line. Positioned in the “impulse buy” section, I saw a child reach for the shiny package. Mom wasn’t hesitant, as her child actually wanted a healthy snack! Funky Monkey Snacks contain only organic fruit, nothing else – okay, some have a little spice or juice to make them unique, but sulfites, added sweeteners, and other funny business never enter the Funky Monkey facility. In fact, that facility is free of the top eight allergens and gluten.
If you like freeze-dried fruit, then you will love Funky Monkey. We had three taste-testers, myself and two teenage food lovers (my niece, Kylie, and her friend). The friend proclaimed, “I love freeze-dried fruit” and began gobbling up each flavor. She worked her way through sampling them, that I really have no idea which one she liked best. Kylie loves freeze-dried fruit in cereal, but it seems that adoration doesn’t translate into straight snacking. She took a few nibbles and said “eh.” Obviously not her thing.
I fell in between the two. I’m a relative newbie to freeze-dried fruit, but really enjoyed some of the flavors – the less sweet ones actually. Here’s my take on each:
- Applemon – I really liked the flavor of this one, I mean, how can you go wrong with apples and cinnamon? The only thing I didn’t like was the slight identity crisis. It was a bit hard to eat as it was a bit chewy like dried fruit, but harder, almost like it didn’t quite make it to the crunchy freeze-dried phase. I’m thinking it was just a batch issue. Otherwise – yum!
- Bananamon – Cinnamon on crunchy banana disks – perfection in my opinion.
- Carnaval Mix – I always love a good grab bag. This mix includes freeze-dried banana, apple, pineapple and guava.
- JiveALime – I kind of liked this unique combination of pineapple and lime juice. It is surprising, and sweet, but not overly so.
- MangOJ – I love mango, and I love orange, but orange juice, not so much. The orange juice made it a little too sweet and “off” for my taste buds, but I think this is personal preference.
- Pink Pineapple – Not unlike the JiveALime, this freeze-dried pineapple with guava has a refreshing flavor, but is just a bit sweeter.
- Purple Funk – Those perfect crunchy banana slices sans cinnamon, but with organic acai instead. I liked them, but it wasn’t love, and something about the purple on the banana was just a little too weird for me, but I’m sure kids will love it.
Dietary Notes: By ingredients, Funky Monkey Snacks are vegan, vegetarian, dairy-free, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and tree nut-free. Nonetheless, check with the company on their manufacturing processes for all varieties if potential allergen cross-contamination is an issue for you. Processes and labeling are subject to change at any time for any company / product.
For More Product Information: Visit the Funky Monkey website at www.funkymonkeysnacks.com.
For a discount, you can purchase all Funky Monkey flavors on Amazon.