Roasted Eggplant and Garlic Bruschetta (Vegan, Soy-Free)
Eggplant dips and spreads are a staple in our household, which is why I couldn’t resist this recipe by Susie Quick of Organic Gardening Magazine.
Note: This is also a tasty base for grilled fish fillets.
- 3 medium eggplants (about 2½ pounds total)
- 7 large cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1 T extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1/4 c coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 slices crusty bread
- Thinly sliced onions and tomatoes
- Assorted olives
- Heat the grill to medium. Pierce eggplants all over with a fork. Place 6 garlic cloves on a double thickness of foil, drizzle with a few drops of oil, and wrap tightly. Grill eggplants and garlic 30 minutes, turning every 10 minutes, until eggplants are charred and soft. Remove from grill. When eggplants are cool enough to handle, halve lengthwise and scrape out flesh with a large spoon into a colander; discard skins. Let drain in sink 15 minutes. Unwrap garlic.
- Transfer eggplant to a blender or food processor. Squeeze the roasted garlic pulp from skins and add to eggplant with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Puree; add parsley and pulse until finely chopped. Transfer to a bowl; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Grill or toast bread. Peel remaining clove of raw garlic; cut in half and rub over bread. Brush bread lightly with oil. Spoon eggplant spread on top of bread and drizzle with oil. Serve with onion and tomato slices, and olives.