This better-for-you Bananas Foster Breakfast Bread recipe post is sponsored by Silk. Why? Because from now through May 6th you can get 15% off So Delicious and Silk Creamers at Target with the Cartwheel App. Pick some up and enjoy this scrumptious loaf with your morning cup of Joe!
We all have those morning rituals that make us feel good. For Tony and I, it usually involves something hearty, fulfilling, and just a little bit sweet to go with a big mug of tea or coffee. This combination is not only comforting and satisfying, it’s also how we get our energetic start to the day. And my most recent a.m. obsession is this better-for-you Bananas Foster Breakfast Bread.
The idea for this beautiful baked good was inspired by a recent visit to Target. I had just downloaded their Cartwheel App, and was armed with discount offers for several items that we needed and some that simply piqued my curiosity. Like usual, our shopping trip started with a thorough browse through the food section. I always find some fun dairy-free goodies at Target, and this trip was no exception. In the refrigerated section, I spotted Silk Almond Creamers in three sweet flavors: Vanilla, Hazelnut, and Caramel. Yes, Caramel!
I’d never tried a Caramel Creamer, and was worried that it would sell out quickly on such a busy shopping day. So it was the first thing that went into our basket. But then I realized that I should probably try all THREE flavors. After all, I have to tell you how they taste, right?
At home, I had some bananas quickly ripening on the counter. Banana bread was definitely in order, but I wanted something different. So I grabbed the Silk Caramel Creamer along with several other wholesome ingredients, and whipped up this super-easy bananas foster breakfast bread.
But this isn’t your typical quick bread. It’s just sweet enough and just moist enough to enjoy fresh. However, it’s hearty and perfect for toasting. The slices also freeze very well, and can be popped in the toaster for a wonderfully convenient breakfast with coffee and creamer.
I enjoy the sweet caramel nuances of this bananas foster breakfast bread straight up or with a slather of nut butter. But in sticking with the flavor theme (bananas foster is served with vanilla ice cream), I thought it would be fun to pair it with a quick vanilla cream spread. And it couldn’t be easier. Just whisk salted cashew butter and Vanilla Almond Creamer together! The flavor combination is divine, and is a relatively low-sugar treat.
Special Diet Notes: Bananas Foster Breakfast Bread
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 2 cups spelt flour (can sub whole wheat flour)
- ⅝ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder (reduce to ⅛ teaspoon for higher altitude)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1 cup mashed very ripe banana
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free buttery spread (optional, see below)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup caramel dairy-free creamer (I used Silk Caramel Almond Creamer)
- ¼ cup salted cashew butter
- 2 to 4 tablespoons vanilla dairy-free creamer (I used Silk Vanilla Almond Creamer)
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF. Grease an 8x4-inch loaf pan and flour the bottom.
- Whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- Place the banana, buttery spread (if using), and vinegar in a mixing bowl and blend with a hand mixer until relatively smooth.
- Add the creamer and flour mixture to your mixing bowl, and stir until combined. Do not over mix; a few small lumps are okay.
- Scrape the batter into your prepared loaf pan, and even it out.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the vanilla cream spread, place the cashew butter in a small bowl. Whisk in the creamer until your desired taste and consistency is reached. I typically use the full 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) for a very spreadable topping that is pleasantly sweet.