I adore baking muffins on Sundays, because they’re such a treat to enjoy during the busy beginning of the week. Although they never last more than a day or two in our home! These lemon blueberry corn muffins have a delicious sweet-tart twist from the citrus and blueberries, a wholesome texture from the cornmeal, and a warm buttery vibe.
This recipe with photo for lemon blueberry corn muffins was shared with us by Fresh from Florida Kids.
Special Diet Notes: Lemon Blueberry Corn Muffins
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, and vegetarian.
For egg-free and vegan blueberry corn muffins, swap in 3 tablespoons of applesauce or dairy-free yogurt for the egg yolks.
For gluten-free blueberry corn muffins, you can use your favorite gluten-free flour blend in place of the all-purpose flour. A brand with some type of binder, like xanthan gum, will help prevent crumbling.
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour (can sub whole wheat pastry flour)
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup non-GMO yellow cornmeal
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon sugar, divided (can sub coconut sugar)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup lite coconut milk or coconut milk beverage
- ¼ cup melted dairy-free buttery spread or coconut oil
- 2 large egg yolks (can substitute 1 large egg; see above for vegan options)
- ½ cup fresh Florida blueberries, divided
- Preheat your oven to 375°F and line six muffin cups with liners.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Whisk in the cornmeal, ½ cup of the sugar, lemon zest, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, melted buttery spread or coconut oil, and yolks. Add the flour mixture and half of the blueberries. Gently stirring until just combined.
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups. Press the remaining blueberries into the tops of the batter. Sprinkle the tops evenly with the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake the muffins on the middle rack of your oven for about 15 minutes, or until the tops are golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the cups and cool on a wire rack. The muffins will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
More Blueberry Muffin Recipes
Blueberry Oat Bran Muffins (optionally vegan, gluten-free & allergy-friendly)
Old-Fashioned Dairy-Free Blueberry Muffins (optionally vegan, optionally gluten-free & allergy-friendly)
Wacky Blueberry Muffins (vegan, nut-free & soy-free)