Gluten-free bread also works very well with this basic recipe. Some brands of almond and rice milk do contain soy lecithin. If this is a concern for you, be sure to check the label. Also, if you use vanilla flavored milk alternative omit the vanilla extract. Serve with a pat of dairy-free butter or some real maple syrup.
Yield: 6 slices of french toast
- 6 thick slices bread
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup plain almond or rice milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon oil or dairy-free butter
- Beat together egg, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and salt.
- Heat oil or dairy-free butter in a skillet over medium-high flame.
- Dunk each slice of bread in egg mixture, soaking both sides.
- Place in pan, and cook on both sides until golden.
- Serve warm with real maple syrup, dairy-free butter, or jam.