Alisa Fleming ~ Contrary to its bright appearance and flavor, citrus actually enjoys a peak season in the dead of winter. Perhaps it’s nature’s way of adding a little sunshine to the darker days. These citrus pancakes merge the light, tangy and cheerful flavors of orange and lemon with the warmth of whole grains for a Sunday brunch recipe that will take you right through to spring.
For gluten-free needs, you can substitute the whole wheat flour in these citrus pancakes with your favorite gluten-free all-purpose flour blend. For egg-free / vegan, try my whole wheat vegan pancakes recipe, but replace the liquid with orange juice and toss in some lemon zest, if desired.
- ¾ cup Florida orange juice
- ½ cup honey, divided
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup whole-wheat flour or whole-wheat pastry flour
- ¼ cup yellow cornmeal, finely ground
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free margarine or coconut oil, softened
- Grapeseed, vegetable, or coconut oil for cooking
- Preheat a large sauté pan or griddle over medium-low heat.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the orange juice, ¼ cup honey, lemon zest and egg. Use a whisk to make sure ingredients are mixed well.
- In separate mixing bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients using a whisk to make sure mixture is combined.
- In a small bowl, combine the softened dairy-free margarine or coconut oil and remaining honey, and set it in the refrigerator to firm up.
- Add a small amount of vegetable oil to a preheated pan or griddle. Using a ¼ cup measure for each pancake, carefully pour the batter into pan or griddle.
- Cook pancakes until they start to bubble on the uncooked side, about 2 to 3 minutes. When the bubbles start to appear, flip each pancake in the pan, and let them cook for another 1 to 2 minutes. Repeat the cooking process until all of the pancake batter is cooked. Keep the pancakes warm on a cookie sheet in a 200°F oven until you are ready to serve them.
- Serve the pancakes warm with the honey "butter."