This recipe for coconut crusted French toast is a “sweet” entry in our March Recipe Madness Contest, created and submitted by Heather Mann. To qualify, she uses 8 ingredients or less, including Coconut Milk Beverage by So Delicious Dairy Free.
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/march-recipe-madness-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Coconut Crusted French Toast
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, peanut-free, soy-free, tree nut-free, and vegetarian.
For gluten-free and dairy-free coconut crusted French toast, use your favorite gluten-free bread. Since gluten-free bread tends to be a little stale in many cases, it makes excellent French toast!
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- Zest and juice of 2 limes
- 1 cup So Delicious Dairy Free Coconut Milk Beverage
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 8 slices of you favorite French toast bread (wheat-based or gluten-free)
- In a medium pot over medium high heat bring all syrup ingredients to a boil stir until sugar is dissolved. Turn off heat and let cool while you make the French toast.
- Whisk together milk beverage, eggs, coconut, and extract.
- Dip bread into egg mix coating both sides
- Place bread onto greased hot griddle and cook 2 minutes each side
- Top coconut crusted French toast with lime syrup (dairy-free margarine is optional but I don't think it needs any).