Apricot Gluten-Free Oat Bars
- ¾ cup natural dairy-free margarine (use Earth Balance soy-free for soy-free)
- ¾ cup sucanat
- 1-1/2 cups old fashioned oats (use certified gluten-free oats for gluten-free)
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose, whole wheat pastry or spelt flour (for gluten-free use your favorite gluten-free flour plus ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 1-1/2 cups apricot jam (all-fruit jam if possible)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Put all but last ingredient in a mixing bowl, and work the mixture by hand briefly, only until it comes together into a smooth dough.
- Spread two thirds of the mixture onto a greased cookie sheet, pressing hard to compact it. You will get a layer about ½ inch thick. Don’t worry if it doesn’t cover the whole surface of the sheet, just ignore the empty space.
- Spread the jam evenly over the dough.
- Crumble the remaining dough, adding a little flour if necessary, to resemble coarse meal, and sprinkle it over the jam.
- Bake about 40 minutes.
- Cut off a little square and let it cool: If it is is not crisp, return the pan to the oven and bake a few minutes longer.
- Cool slightly before cutting into bars or squares.
Store at room temperature in an air-tight cookie tin.